Wednesday, 1 May 2013

Top 5 Guilty Pleasures



Top 5 Guilty Pleasure
I'm Back!! First off let me say sorry for not posting in the last month due to various reasons I just could not get on the blog and write up as much as I wanted to. So after a little hiatus I am back with a new top 5 list this time my list of Guilty Pleasures! The films I should not like but cannot help but enjoy and adore, so I am baring my soul to you all. Big shout out and thank you to my good friend across the pond Jeremy for suggesting this list idea a long time ago.

5. The Wizard of Oz (1939) 
The Wizard of Oz (1939) Poster

Yes I am a fan of this film. But come on for the time of its release its an amazing and imaginative film. The colour, the story, the fantasy. This is a classic film and is guaranteed to be on television at least 3 times a year, and rightly so. For generations this film has been watched it does not look its age, but then again 1939 was such an amazing year for movies (there is another film from that particular year on this list). How can you not watch Judy Garland on her journey in Oz to see the wizard and not smile, it is that popular there has been a sequel and a recently released sequel. I have seen the sequel Oz the Great and the Powerful (2013) and i for one thought it was a good film but... it lacked the charm and appeal of the original. Next year is the 75th anniversary of this film and I'm sure it will last another 75 years.

4. Anything made by Pixar

Yes I am a big child. I cant help but adore the work of this studio. Ever since I first watched Toy Story at the age of 10 at the cinema I have been blown away by these guys. If there is ever an argument for animation only been for children I throw at you Toy Story 3, UP and Wall-E, these three films are simply sheer delight to watch and I feel they show animation as an art form not just cheap entertainment for children. How can you watch the beginning of UP and declare it a "child's" film its a very moving intoduction. The story telling by pixar is second to none, every film they do is just pure brilliance. I have to say I am not a big fan of Dreamworks animation (Shrek, Ice Age, Madgascar) they are good films but watch them once and that's it sort of films. PIxar I feel has something special, sort of like the Disney of old.

3. Daredevil (2003)
Daredevil (2003) Poster
Bad film and  I know its terrible, but Daredevil has the distinction of been named my favorite Marvel hero (regular readers will know I am a DC comics fan at heart), yes that's right you can take your Spider-Man and the Avengers for me in the Marvel comics there is only one character Daredevil. I was obsessed with this character I mean he is a disabled super hero, blind lawyer Matt Murdoch at night becomes Daredevil the vigilante "man without fear". So why is it here? Yes the film is bad but its the only movie version we have of Daredevil so until he is done right and done proper "Justice", I just have to stick with this film and been such a huge fan of the character I cant help but like it!! Yes its cheesy, terrible acting (I never thought Affleck would become  one of my favorite directors!), but the love of the comic book and the brilliant soundtrack for me make it at least a bit watchable.

2. The Disney Animation Classics
 
Damn I am going to get so much stick for this. But then this is my guilty pleasure list!. Walt Disney for me is one of my heroes of American Cinema he had a dream and a passion and nobody believed he could achieve what he wanted to do and my god did he prove people wrong. Lets go back to 1937 and the release of Snow White, a feature length animation had never been attempted before and many people thought Walt was insane doing it but lo and behold it was a success and history was made. The energy and enthusiasm by Walt on his Animation films is amazing, if you are lucky enough to have the dvds/blu rays of the films the making of documentaries are sheer brilliance to watch, I cant recommend them enough. Since 1937 this studio and its films have charmed audiences all around the world and rightly so, the work that goes into these films and the passion of everyone involved in making them shines through. Yes there has been some duds ( The Black Cauldron comes to mind) but most of the work is top notch. Here is what I thought of the most recent Wreck it Ralph. Films to me are about escapism and sharing something together no other studio can do that better than Disney's animation studios. Walt your dream is still alive today.

That brings us to number one my big guilty pleasure the one film I adore and yet been a young male I shouldn't enjoy it so much but its one of my top 10 films of all time and frankly I don't give a damn, its the one and only:

 GONE WITH THE WIND (1939)
This film is CINEMA!!. If you have not experienced GWTW you have not lived. Not many films can have the affect on cinema that this had it is the benchmark and god do I love it!. The emotion, the intensity, the story, the colour, the acting..........EVERYTHING!! This film has it all and I could quite gladly waste 4 hours over and over watching this epic. I reviewed this a while ago so here is the link if you wish to read it.


Post a Comment