Thursday, 2 May 2013

The Mighty Top 10 Films of 2012

                               The Mighty Top 10 Films of 2012

Yes I know this is a bit late but better late than never. 2012 was an amazing year for film we had one of the greatest film franchises of all time celebrating its 50th anniversary (and in style I might add), yes Mr Bond I'm looking at you. Ang Lee pushed the boundaries of story telling with the amazing Life of Pi proving once and for all its the story, script and director that makes the film not the actors!. Tom Hooper proved to the world he wasn't just a one hit wonder with The Kings Speech he brought us the mesmerizing Les Miserables. Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale said good bye to DC Comics Dark Knight and gave us a trilogy that will be hard to beat (just don't mention Tom Hardy with his Bane voice! I thought I was watching John Hurt in the Elephant Man again in places). Marvel Comics and Disney brought us the brilliant Avengers Assembled, proving that an eclectic mix of super heroes can work as a team in a film, (now come on DC and Warner Bros where is our Justice League film!). To top it off Ben Affleck proved once again that he is a brilliant director after his third film Argo finally gave him the notice he deserved and what a film. So where did I rank these films and what was my favorite of the year read on to find out!

10. Woman in Black
The Woman in Black (2012) Poster
Just making the cut is this brilliant return of that old British institution "Hammer Horror". For me Daniel Radcliffe proved he was more than just Harry Potter with this film. The film follows a young lawyer leaving London and going to the country side to sort out some deeds of a big country house for his firm. But its not as easy as that the whole village is in fear of something and their children somehow wanting to commit suicide. Why are these villagers scared and why are the children doing this? Is the Manor connected? Who knows you need to see this film if you like decent psychological thrillers like me, its not another cheap horror, its filmed properly and set in what looks like early 1900's Britain. The Atmosphere and storytelling is brilliant been a Brit I can be biased tho because I for one was so glad to see the return of Hammer!.

9. Rock Of Ages
Rock of Ages (2012) Poster
Okay I know this film for many people is not a good film... But I love my rock music especially 80's and hair metal, so when a musical is released which contains many songs by Poison, Def Leppard and Bon Jovi, well I am one happy person! Okay Russel Brand aside with his strange accent and he's actually British so god knows why he didn't talk in his normal voice, I love the cast Julianne Hough, wow what a gorgeous girl and what a voice she has, and if Tom Cruise ever retires from acting he should take up Rock singing he has a voice like a Rock Star. So finishing yes Rock of Ages was one of my favorite movies of the year, I just love the music I could not help singing all the way through! I'll be in a minority I know.

8. Lincoln
Lincoln (2012) Poster
Two names Steven Spielberg and Daniel Day-Lewis, Hollywood gold written all over it. This is a great drama film I am a Brit but Abe Lincoln is one of my heroes of history, he was a unique man and I adore Daniel Day-Lewis' portrayal of this great man. Daniel Day-Lewis is one of my favorite actors of all time (My Top 5 list here). I Reviewed Lincoln at the cinema, click here for review. I have to say my review is very short but this was when I was first starting, not compared to my Skyfall review where I totally found my feet.

7. Avengers Assembled
The Avengers (2012) Poster
So how to top off the brilliant Iron Man, Captain America and Thor films.... Simple team them all together just like the Marvel Avengers comic book. This is pure cinematic popcorn entertainment. Everything in this film is so right.... Apart from Jeremy Renner what a waste! Hawkeye happens to be my favorite Avenger well what a waste he was in this film, I was gutted by the character and Renner playing him. That aside it is pure gold! I talked about this film in my Top 5 comic book film list. To top off my feelings on this film I am so glad they finally got Hulk right, he was my favorite character in this full of humor and cheek and Mark Ruffulo playing Dr Banner so brilliantly to top it off. Thank you Disney for the wonderful work with your Marvel studios makes me jealous that Warner Brothers and DC comics are so far behind! Warner Brothers I want a Justice League film! Give me the "Trinity" Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and put Green Lantern in if he's done right!

6. Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) Poster
Now if you have read my top 5 Directors list, you will know Christopher Nolan is one of my favorite Directors of all time! With this film he finished off the brilliant Dark Knight Trilogy in style. Typical Nolan with all the twists as usual for him, with his Nolan Flair (I'm trade marking that!), and the fall of the Dark Knight by Bane (read the Knightfall comic book series for the original source of this). There was however two flaws in this film for me which is why its only placed here! Flaw one, Tom Hardy's voice for Bane... Why the hell did they have him talking like the Elephant Man, I found Bane funny not intimidating like he should be! Flaw two the second film The Dark Knight was just so unique and special even Nolan couldn't surpass it with this film, its like he set the bar so high that this film couldn't get close, that's just the way I feel on this film.

Before I give you my top five films of 2012 let start off by saying any of these films could be number one for me these are sheer brilliant films if every year could be like 2012 wow we as cinema and movie lovers would be in for a treat. I had the hard task of deciding where to place these when they all could be joint first to me.

5. Silver Linings Playbook
Silver Linings Playbook (2012) Poster
What a brilliant heartwarming film, I reviewed this so here is the link.

4. Les Miserables
Les Misérables (2012) Poster
Wow! Power. Emotion. Intensity. These are four words that I use to describe this musical masterpiece. I'm not going to say much because I reviewed this film, click here to read it. This was also one of the first films I reviewed on my little blog site so its close to my heart. Do You Hear The People Sing?

3. Skyfall
Skyfall (2012) Poster
Bond is Back! Happy 50th Anniversary to the British Institution that is James Bond. This is one of my favorite reviews I ever did, check it out here.

2. Life Of Pi
Life of Pi (2012) Poster
This film is more than just a film! This film stays with you. In my opinion you don't watch Life of Pi... You live life of Pi!. When I saw this at the Cinema I was blown away!. Its not often a film like this comes in our lifetime, in fact I am so torn between putting it here and it been at first place. I will be buying the Blu Ray soon so I will have a full review soon as possible, but till then you need to see this film... You need to live this film.

1. Argo
Argo (2012) Poster
The film I was not expecting to be as good as it was, for years I have been banging on about how great a Director Ben Affleck is. His first two films he Directed "Gone Baby Gone" and "The Town" should in my view, be regarded as modern day classics!. That been said I went to see Argo and my god its a masterpiece. Everything just works in this film its rare to see a film where I can't say one bad thing about it! But yet this and Life of Pi are just total perfection. If people say movies and Hollywood are dead they are so wrong! America has made some amazing thought provoking films last year and I for one felt so looking to experience these films. I reviewed Argo too, click here to read it.

I cannot wait to see what 2013 will bring! My favorite time of year for movies is from July right up to December we have the summer comic book movie to look forward too, and then the Oscar winning Dramas I love been a movie fanatic. To end this there is still a few films from 2012 I have yet to see that I want to see they are:
Beasts Of The Southern Wild, A Royal Affair and Berberian Sound Studio. I am sure I will catch these up and review them for you. Hope you enjoyed my list, I would love to hear feedback, so get in touch. Thanks and see you at the Multiplex!.
Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) Poster
Berberian Sound Studio (2012) Poster
Post a Comment