Saturday, 23 February 2013

Top 5 films of my Childhood

I thought I would do something fun for my next top 5 list. So I had a thought why not do a list of the top 5 films I watched as a child. If you have your own let me know by email or comments. I'm going to try my best to remember what I liked about these films as a child, could be interesting.
The Transformers: The Movie (1986) Poster
5. Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (1991)
This was one of the first VHS videos I owned. As a child it was the music and the action i liked in this film, the opening theme would have me jumping for joy, then i would fast-forward it, to when he arrived in England, the river fight I liked too but the witch terrified me. Now in my late twenties, I still love the music but I don't rate the film as much apart from..... Alan Rickman, he is amazing in this film, stealing scenes as ever. Young me loved Kevin Costner and hated Alan Rickman (how we change).

4. Home Alone (1990)
I adored this film must of watched it so many times, the wonder of been "Home Alone" with no parents must of appealed to young me so much, I knew all the lines off by heart and was terrified by the old man who lived next door to Kevin in the film, I think it was the way they all told stories of him. I remember loving the scenes of Kevin preparing the house for the "bandits" and finding it funny as hell. Now i just see the film as Joe Pesci in a totally different role as his usual roles.

3. Ghostbusters (1984)
I watched the cartoon series as a child, I had the toys, but never saw the film till my cousin gave a VHS of 1 and 2 together, and wow I loved it. The colours the ghosts Mr Stay Puff absolutely loved it, I think I wore the video out over playing it. To this day I still love this film it is one of the classic comedy films of the 80's, pure genius.

2. Aladdin (1992)
These days, this is my 2nd favourite Disney film (Lion King looking at you). As a child this was the Golden Era for Disney for me I a so glad I was young enough to enjoy the magic and wonder of this film, there was nothing like it, the music, the songs, the magic carpet and Genie was just hilarious perfect for my childhood. Robin Williams was the star of my childhood I saw "Toys" and "Mrs Doubtfire" at the cinema and I know this sounds bad but I loved them. When I was told he was Genie I was amazed with wonder he steals this film for it. Big part of my childhood.

1. Transformers the Movie (1986)
I really wish I could put Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back but i discovered them as a teenager, so it would be a lie. Transformers the Movie was my obsession as a child, I loved 80's cartoons (Turtles, He Man and Thundercats) but Transformers was something else. I was hooked on this film, the music was my favourite I would go to school singing that cheesy power song from this film "You got the touch" I think it was. Spoiler coming up but hey its an old Animated film, the scene where Optimus Prime died I'm not going to lie i cried over it I remember it well. I was obsessed with Hot Rod and Carp they were amazing characters. These days I see it as a piece of my childhood and the last role of the great Orson Welles.

So there was my childhood in movies, if it proves popular I may do my top Movies from my Teenage years, that is if people still read after saying i cried at Optimus Prime haha. Honorable mention is E.T. i was terrified of him, a film I had to watch in my teens that.
Post a Comment