Saturday, 16 February 2013

Top 5 Comic Book Movies

Superman (1978) PosterWell seen as its the current trend in Hollywood, thanks to Disney buying Marvel Comics probably I thought i would do this. Now before I start let me tell you I read comics when I was younger both Marvel and DC. I am more a DC fan. But I know all the Marvel stuff iv read all the Stan Lee 60s stuff, nearly everything Spider-Man. But prefer DC give me Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and Batman any day. This list is so hard to call, I have no X-Men movies in this list but that is purely because I could never get into them, when I was younger I liked the Wolverine comics and that was it. So I'm gonna get stick for that I know.

5. Thor (2011)
The nice surprise for me. I have read all of Stan Lee's run on Thor, and enjoyed it. The film I wasn't really looking forward to. But wow was I surprised with Kenneth Branagh at the helm directing this its pure brilliance. The film revolves around Thor who happens to be the crown prince of Asgard. He is Banished from Asgard and sent to Earth, by his father Odin (Anthony Hopkins) On Earth he forms a relationship with Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), a scientist. However, Thor must stop his adopted brother Loki played brilliantly by Tom Hiddleston, who intends to become the new king of Asgard. The film is pure brilliance a great mixture of comedy and action. One scene sees our hero going into a pet shop asking for a horse and the coffee shop scene is comedy genius. He is like a fish out of water, but eventually has to become the brave man again to save his new friends and stop his brother.

4. Avengers Assembled (2012)
This is the film that Disney probably always wanted to make as soon as they bought Marvel. The film finally joins together all the characters Disney's new Marvel studios has made as films (or has the rights too example: Spider-Man at Sony) so we are talking Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye, nicely put together by the man Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury (finally a proper role) for him so how's it go? Well pretty much everything that happened at end of  Thor is thrown out of the window! Thor is back on Earth and Loki is up to his old tricks again, but this time he has an army (as seen in the trailers). So Nick Fury puts together all the guys (and girl), not going to say any spoilers but the climax is amazing, each Avenger is great, Captain America leads, Iron Man is just the boss as ever, Thor and Hulk are just legendary together. Two great scenes Hulk and Thor celebrating with each other, and Hulk giving Loki what for I loved it! Joss Whedon has done a great job of bringing them altogether only bad thing for me is Hawkeye, my favourite Avenger is just missing in action not written very well at all.

3. Spider-Man (2002)
I haven't seen the Amazing Spider-Man and why because like many film buffs I'm asking myself... WHY?? That film came out so quick after Sam Raimi's fine trilogy. I don't mind a reboot but not 5 years after, and when the films were great anyway but hey. Anyhow this film came out when I was in the middle of reading all of Stan Lee's run on Spider-Man and it is spot on if Lee directed this would be his film.  You can tell Sam Raimi is a Spidey fan. I'm not going to go on about the story of Spider-Man I'm sure you all know it. One more thing J K Simmons as J Jonah Jameson is absolutely amazing straight from the comic books. Must be the role of his life.

2. The Dark Knight and Batman (2008 and 1989)
I could not pick between these, no way I can't do it they are the best from both eras of Batman films. I will say one thing Michael Keaton is my Batman/Bruce Wayne  of choice its his eyes, always got an intensity and mystery in them that is acting. Michael Keaton was for me one of the character actors of the 80's, with his Batman and Beetlejuice both Directed by Tim Burton, just blows it out of the park. Two totally different and diverse roles but pure brilliance. Anyhow Michael Keaton's Bruce Wayne is just so dark and mysterious like he really could be hiding some secret. I cannot pick which Joker is best, for the era in comic books they were made they both represent the Joker of that era. The 80's Joker played by Jack Nicholson was just a psychotic guy who could not stop laughing, (read killing joke amazing story). Now the 2000's Joker is just a total nut case, and he is played amazingly well by Heath Ledger no doubt there at all. Tim Burton made Batman as a comic book the dark brooding Gotham straight from the comics of that era. Christopher Nolan (my favourite modern day director) brought his Batman films into a real world which is a stroke of genius on him. With the Dark Knight he brought us an amazing film, the rise and fall of Harvey Dent (sorry Joker fans Harvey Dent my favourite Batman Villain in the comics I might add!), the creation of Batman as a vigilante on the run. Pure Nolan Storytelling he should have many oscars now I can't understand why he hasn't, its probably because these type of films are often ignored.

1. Superman and Superman 2 (1978 and 1980)
Oh no more controversy I can hear it now. Yes I know again two films. And two Superman films, just bare with me here. Superman and Superman 2 were filmed side by side pretty much both at the same time. Remember this is a my personal choice I'm sure most of you would pick Dark Knight, but I remember seeing Christopher Reeve fly for the first time as a child and just been blown away. Superman is my joint favourite comic book character along with Green Lantern (don't mention the film it hurts haha) so I could be biased. Richard Donner did an amazing job directing these films, Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor and how can you not love Terence Stamp as General Zod "Kneel before ZOD" classic. Not forgetting Marlon Brando as Jor-El, wow what a performance worth that top fee they paid him. How can you not like the brilliant John Williams score I just hear his Superman theme and smile. Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent/Superman (or Kal-El just to prove I know comics ha ha) he plays two totally different roles. One been so humble, shy, quiet nervous and always adjusting his glasses (nice acting touch Reeve), but then the other Strong willed, brave the all American Hero, great performance from an actor who at the time was sort of unknown (look where his name appears in the opening credits). Its also here for me because of what happened to Reeve in real life that man was a real Superman a real life fighter. I'm looking forward to the new "Man of Steel" film I hope they dedicate it to Superman himself. Christopher Reeve a true American fighter.
Post a Comment